Blog and News
Benefits and Limitations of Polished Concrete Flooring
Concrete floors have been used for ages, especially in industrial environments. However, several techniques have evolved over the years, exciting businesses to think about some better flooring alternatives. That’s when they come across polished concrete flooring.
A polished concrete flooring system involves refining and polishing a concrete surface to achieve a smooth, glossy, and reflective appearance. It has been in high demand in the market, due to its durable, attractive, and low-maintenance properties.
According to the Allied Market Research report, the global polished concrete market is expected to hit $3.7 billion by 2031 with a CAGR of 5.3%. It’s the growth in the construction of new commercial properties that has supported the rise of its market value during the forecasted period.
Benefits of polished concrete floors
- Aesthetically appealing: If you want to add a sophisticated touch to your commercial space, you can go for concrete polishing. It comes with a high-gloss finish, making spaces appear brighter, stylish, and graceful.
- Durable and long-lasting: Concrete polished floors offer exceptional durability. It can resist heavy foot traffic, abrasion, and high impact of dropped objects, provided they are maintained properly.
- Low-maintenance: Concrete polishing requires minimal maintenance. It implies you don’t need to invest in frequent waxing, sealing, or any special treatments to maintain your floor. Instead, you can simply use a regular mop to keep the surface area clean and tidy.
- Versatile: When it comes to polished concrete flooring, you can opt for multiple color and design options. You can make your desired choice and apply it in your commercial space.
- Sustainable: The best thing about this flooring system is it’s safe and environmentally-friendly. Since concrete materials are sourced locally, they have a low carbon footprint. Additionally, the flooring system requires no harsh chemicals except water-based hardeners and stain-resistant sealers. It is a strong proof of its sustainability.
Limitations of polished concrete floors
- Cold and hard: Unlike other flooring options, polished concrete floors can make you feel cold underfoot. Certainly, these floors offer extreme discomfort in colder climates or in winter months. Even if it’s not cold, it’s hard if you stand or walk barefoot for extended periods.
- Slippery: The glossy polished surface can become slippery, especially when it is wet. Hence, if you choose this flooring option for your commercial bathrooms or kitchens, you should ensure keeping the floor dry all the time to avoid potential accidents.
- Cracks: In a polished concrete surface, cracks may appear over time. It happens because of the constant change in the environment. As a result, the floor absorbs the moisture which in turn gives rise to mold formation.
Install polished concrete floors for your commercial space
Polished concrete floors offer a modern and elegant vibe to a commercial or industrial space. Though this flooring system has a few challenges, you can still consider this option for your retail or commercial space.
Sealwell has a team of flooring contractors that can transform standard concrete floors into sleek and attractive surfaces. You can schedule a meeting and get a free quote on polished concrete floors.
Phone No– +1-844-443-2844
424 E Central Blvd., Suite 264, Orlando, FL 32801, United States